So next week is Easter! This will be the first year we wont be doing the egg hunting. Now that we are getting mature and older. Okay lets face it, we had a kid and now it’s his turn to do the Easter egg hunting. I mean it would just be embarrassing to have him show us up in an egg hunting contest.
It should be totally fun, except Graeyson can’t walk yet. So pretty much we will be dragging him around from one area to the next until we see that little goofy grin on his face that says “Ooo pretty, shiny!”
With Easter comes the tradition of food, just like every other holiday! Usually the host handles dinner, traditionally ham, and the guests bring appetizers. With that in mind I thought I would give you a healthier option to make and bring for your appetizer! I know you want the traditional pigs in a blanket, but lets face it we are what we eat. I don’t want to be a pig in a blanket, do you?
Typically cheese balls are made with cream cheese and more cheese. I decided to change it up and give it a little more flavor. The only cream used here is plain greek yogurt. This cheese ball has such a great texture and flavor. You bite into it and you’ve got the creaminess going on, then the onions, then the garlic and lastly a nice slightly salty crunch of almonds bits and turkey bacon. Can I hear a “Yum!”?
I made a batch of this and so many people wanted to try it that I had to start rationing it out. I would only let people have a tiny bite so that everyone was able to try it. It went really fast! It will definitely be an appetizer I will keep making again and again because it is a major crowd pleaser!
*Make sure to make this the night before or at least a good couple hours before you need it because it does need to chill in the fridge before you roll it into a ball.
- 4 slices turkey bacon, cooked and finely chopped
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 green onion, finely diced
- 1/2-1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1/4 cup almonds, chopped, mixed with 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and a pinch of salt, and placed in a 350 degree oven for about 8 minutes until lightly browned.
- In a medium sized bowl add your greek yogurt and cheese and mix well.
- Add in the green onions and garlic and mix
- Once the almonds and turkey bacon have cooled those can be added too
- Chill the mix for a couple hours
- Pull it out of the fridge and carefully roll the mixture into a ball and set on a platter
- Keep it in the refrigerator until ready to serve
- Serve with fruits, vegetables, bread, or crackers.