The best part about summer has to be the get togethers and barbecues! When you go over to someones house what do you usually bring over? Is there something you are especially amazing at making?
As a food blogger, there is never a dull moment as to what I would bring! I rarely make the same thing twice because I am constantly trying out new recipes. Some days I think it would be easier to just rotate through the same old meals like we used to when I was growing up.
When I was growing up we had taco night, spaghetti night, chicken night and lets not forget Hamburger Helper night! What were my parents thinking, seriously. Hamburger Helper? How bad can someones diet get? How boring would life be if we constantly did this same rotation for 70 years? Do you really want taco night every tuesday!? I mean I really love tacos, but come on there are other types of Mexican food as well!
When people go out to eat they like to order things that they would never make at home or that would be too difficult to make at home. What if some of those spectacular appetizers could be made quickly right in your own kitchen! Think it’s impossible? It totally is! Today I present you with an extremely simple, delicious and beautiful appetizer that everyone will go crazy for. Yup, major, major, cray cray! I mean come on, it’s bacon! Who doesn’t go crazy for a little bacon?
- 12 brussels sprouts, ends cut off and halved lengthwise
- 12 slices of turkey bacon (possibly more depending on the length of the bacon–> plan on a few extra)
- 1/4 cup fig preserves
- 24 toothpicks
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Take each brussels sprout and spread the flat side with fig preserve
- Wrap each sprout with bacon, ensuring the flat side of the brussels sprout remains down once it’s wrapped
- Take a toothpick and stick it in to hold it together (make sure it pokes all the way through)
- Set all of the finished sprouts on a cooling rack and set that on a baking sheet. This will help catch any juices that come from the bacon so it doesn’t get on the bottom of the oven.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until it’s perfectly crisp!