Crunch, crunch, munch, munch… Oh hey, don’t mind me I am just chomping away over here with this yummy salad. I don’t even know if I could call this a salad. It doesn’t taste like salad and it sure doesn’t feel like I am eating a bowl of salad. So what am I eating then? Well, that’s a good question and I have no idea how to explain it. This is like… HEAVEN! So so YUMMY!
You guys, I have totally made this twice in four days. So, pretty much I have been eating this for four days straight. Can’t get enough, must keep eating, yum yum, in my tummy, ahhh, so GOOD! So what is this salad that’s got me buzzing about. I don’t know if I want to even say because you might buy all the broccoli and brussel sprouts and then I can’t keep making this EVERYDAY. What if I start turning green? Can that happen? Oh well, for now I am just loving this. And if you don’t like it I wont cry because that just means there is more for me!
Most of the ingredients you probably already have. You may only need to go to the store for the veggies! Even better is that this recipe is done in no time. How does 25 minutes sound? Sounds good to me!
This is a great way to serve your veggies in a different style to change it up. Hey, the kids might even like it. My little Graeyson sure did!
This salad should be served slightly warm, not hot or cold, just warm. The colors in this salad are so bright! I love all the textures in the salad too! They are fun to look at, but also to munch. When you are ready to serve this delicious bowl of yum, drizzle on the tangy/creamy dressing and bam! I mean pow! I mean… so DARN good!!!
- 2 cups broccoli (floret and short stem only, not the stalk), sliced (mandolin or cut thinly into strips with a knife)
- 2 cups brussel sprouts, sliced –> same way as the broccoli
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 cup unsalted almonds, chopped
- 2 chicken breast, grilled and chopped (about 1 1/4 pound of chicken)
- Pinch of salt to season almonds
- Salt and Pepper to taste for salad
- HOMEMADE POPPYSEED DRESSING
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil
- 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons granulated xylitol
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup (honey or agave)
- 1/2 teaspoon poppyseeds
- Small pinch of Himalayan salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a large skillet melt 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Add the onions and garlic to the pan and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes
- Add the broccoli and brussel sprouts to the skillet and saute until bright green, about 3 minutes (Don’t cook all the way, you want them to be slightly al dente still, not mushy!)
- Place the chopped almonds, 1 tablespoon coconut oil and a pinch of salt on a baking sheet and bake the almonds until golden brown, about 5 or 6 minutes
- Throw the vegetables from the skillet into a bowl and toss the chopped chicken in
- In a small blender or food processor add all of the dressing ingredients and blend well
- Top the salad with almonds and dress the salad just before serving so it doesn’t become soggy.