We are closely embarking on the long hot summer days! During the summer nobody wants to turn on their oven! So hot, right? I find that I make a lot of salads during the summer months. There is nothing like a nice crisp, refreshing salad!
Salads can become so boring! I think it is funny how the salads we make at home feel more like a chore to eat than anything. However, as soon as we go out to eat we can’t wait to get a side salad and want to be served the salad before our meal. Hmm, yes that makes sense, right?
Are restaurant salads really that much better than the ones we make at home? Most definitely! Salads at home are so boring. Here’s the good news. This salad is amazing! It is a total restaurant quality salad. Gorgeous spring mix with cranberries, tangy and creamy blue cheese, pears, grapes, all topped with crunchy toasted almonds and dressed with tangy citrus dressing. Lets see, the word you are searching for is “YUM!” If that doesn’t make you want to get off your butt to make a salad I don’t know what will!
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 4 teaspoons total of zest (from tangelos and lemons)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup tangelo juice
- 1/4 lemon juice
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 2 teaspoons coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Himalayan salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 12 -16 ounces spring mix salad
- 1 pear, thinly sliced
- 1 cup of red grapes, halved
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, unsweetened
- 1/3-1/2 pound of blue cheese, thinly sliced (I used IGOR from Whole Foods. You don’t want a really overpowering cheese. Try to choose something mild. Point Reyes is another good choice)
- 1/2 cup unsalted almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Add all of the ingredients to a ball jar or salad dressing shaker and shake well (Thats it!)
- Put your almonds, salt and coconut oil on a baking sheet and bake them for about 8-10 minutes until the almonds are toasty brown.
- While you are waiting on the almonds put your salad together. Put the lettuce leaves on the bottom then layer with grapes, cranberries, slices of pear and blue cheese
- Top with almonds as soon as they are done toasting
- Serve with fresh ground pepper and your citrus dressing!