I used to work in the cheese department at Whole Foods Market. Did I ever mention that? It was a great experience and a lot of fun. I learned so much about cheese, obviously. I remember when my boss called to screen me for an interview and she asked me what my favorite cheeses were. I answered her with brie and cheddar. What a generic answer. Well, to tell you the truth I really knew nothing about cheese. I thought that curds and whey were just part of a nursery rhyme. I had no idea it was much more than a silly song!
Did you know how many different types of blue cheese, cheddars, goudas, bries and parmesans there are? Do you know how they make blue cheese blue? Or that they make cheese from many animals, not just cows! There is a whole big world out there, of cheese.
When I make recipes with cheese I try to go out of the comfort zone of mixed yellow and white cheese shreds. I found my love for smoked cheeses during this journey as well. It gives them a nice meaty, jerky, maple flavor that I love! In this recipe I am included a fabulous smoked cheddar and a danish fontina. Fontina can be a little stinky, but when it is cooked and mixed with another cheese it gives off such a wonderful flavor and really enhances whatever you add to it! If you don’t like these cheeses feel free to substitute, but I feel they go really well with this dish.
Give it a try!
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 6 cups peeled and diced sweet potatoes (2 medium sized)
- 3 cups of brussels sprouts, halved
- 1 1/4 pound Italian sausages
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 ounces shredded danish fontina
- 3 ounces smoked chedder
- (Plus more cheese for topping)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1/4 cup spelt flour
- 2 cloves garlic
- Cook brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes about 15 minutes (with coconut oil, thyme, salt and pepper
- In a second skillet cook the sausages until browned
- Once they are both cooked, combine them and mix
- Pour them into a 9 inch square baking dish and pour the cheese sauce over the top. Add more grated cheese on top is desired
- Bake on 350 for 10 min
- Heat almond milk and chicken broth
- Once hot, add the spelt flour
- When it has thickened add in the white wine, garlic, thyme, salt, pepper
- lastly add in the cheese
- Cook over medium heat until all the cheese is melted.