Have you ever tried making dinner with a child, or even worse children! It is so difficult. I was trying to make this while also occupying Graeyson. I close both doors to the kitchen so it is completely closed off and will throw a bunch of toys on the floor. However, he always seems to find something he is not supposed to play with. His toys occupy him for a few minutes, the pots and pans a few extra minutes and some puff cereal will possibly buy me a few more.
Being a food blogger is not all glimmer and glam! It is hard work, especially when you have little ones under your feet while you are trying to write down and calculate measurements. If I had to do math all over again I would probably get an “A” just because I had a peacefully quiet room and an entire hour to myself to take a test. When will I ever get that again? A whole hour to myself in the peace and quiet? Maybe in twenty years. For now it is going to be extra pots and pans on the floor with an 11-month-old.
Luckily, this meal was super easy and quick! It didn’t require a lot of bribing with the baby. Once this is done cooking the chicken shreds so easily! It is so tender and moist. The coconut sugar gives the chicken a nice sweet caramelized flavor that is absolutely to die for! Pour it on top of some gorgeous colorful quinoa and you have dinner done in no time!
- 4-5 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup zevia lemon- lime soda (sweetened with stevia)
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons Coconut Aminos
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons Arrowroot Powder
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes (or more if you like it really spicy)
- 2 cups prepared colored quinoa (Cook with chicken broth and a pinch of salt)
- In a medium sized bowl mix together all of the ingredients (except the chicken)
- Place the chicken breasts in the crock pot and pour the sauce over the chicken
- Cook on low heat for 4-6 hours
- Shred the chicken up in the crockpot and serve on top of quinoa