It is finally starting to feel like Summer! I love Summer until about July time and then I am over it. After that I just get tired of the sweaty/sticky grossness, no sheets sleeping, bathing suit only wearing, bug bite landing pad, downright this weather is too darn bright and hot! Bleh! I know that’s a lot for you to retain. Thank goodness its only April so you wont have to hear that rant for a few more months.
For now, the weather is perfect and Graeyson and I don’t have a care in the world this week, except posting some blogs! We will be reporting to you from sunny San Diego this week as per our usual routine of visiting the husband every other week. #when will this be over!!# We can’t wait to finally be in the same household again. And as it still seems so far away, we are almost there! I can taste it!
Speaking of tasting it. Looks below! I am telling you right now you need to make this immediately (okay, if you are being lazy at work and reading this you can wait until you get home, but if you are not then get in the kitchen!) because it is for sure one of the best things ever! I swear to you, your mind will be blown when you find out there is no butter, nasty oils, cream, or white flour in sight. The only dairy in here is greek yogurt. I am calling this the “Almond, Lemon, Poppyseed Loaf.” I should really call it poundcake or crack for short. It is that good. You are going to say to yourself, “Self, how is this healthy for me, it tastes amazing!!” I know because I had the same conversation with myself but, I made it and I wrote the recipe so I am telling you it is true. Every time I make this bad boy it is gone within a day. It will not last! Especially if you have a cookie monster Graeyson like me.
So enjoy it while you can because it is going to go fast!
Until next time!
- 2/3 cup grapeseed oil
- 1 cup agave
- 3 large eggs, beaten (MUST be room temperature, if you forget to set them out for a while before you start put them in a bowl of warm water until they are no longer cold)
- 2/3 cup greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup Meyer lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 1/2 cups spelt flour, sifted (MUST be sifted)
- 3/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoons Xantham Gum
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- Preheat your oven to 295 degrees
- Grease a loaf pan (don’t use glass, it must be the metal one) and set aside
- Take out two large mixing bowls.
- In the first one mix together the oil, agave, eggs, greek yogurt, lemon juice, 2 teaspoons of the lemon zest and almond extract
- In the second bowl mix together the sifted spelt flour, baking soda, Xantham Gum, baking powder and salt
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix well
- Fold in the poppy seeds
- Pour into prepared loaf pan and bake for 55 minutes uncovered and 10 minutes covered with foil. It will bake for a total of 1 hour and 5 minutes on 295 degrees.
- You can cover the loaf with foil as soon as it is the the right color you want. I found it to be at about 55 minutes.
- Allow to cool for about 10 minutes before cutting and serving