French fries are something that has been in my life for a very long time. I don’t think people realize how bad the fast food restaurant fries are. Sure, regular potatoes are vegetables and all, but they aren’t the most beneficial to our health and then you throw on some disgusting hydrogenated oil on the top of them that has been sitting in the fryer for weeks and you’ve got yourself a nice bath of free radical garbage! You start off with something descent and turn it into one of the most unhealthy food products on the planet. What is sad is that people are feeding these to their children! Oh here you go you’ve been such a good boy how about I give you a higher percentage of getting heart disease. It makes no sense.
Several years ago I started getting into sweet potatoes. Not only do sweet potatoes taste better than regular potatoes, but they are better for you. Sweet potatoes are full of antioxidants, beta carotene, Vitamins A and C, have anti-inflammatory properties and help to control blood sugar just to name a few of the health properties.
I decided to make Sweet Potato Waffle Fries! These are so easy and fun to make, delicious and good for you too! They are loaded with thyme, parsley and garlic! Yum! Your family will love these!
Make these for your next snack, breakfast, or an addition to sandwiches and burgers!
- 7 cups sweet potatoes (room temperature), peeled and shredded–> this is about 2 large sweet potatoes
- –> use a food processor with the grating blade or a cheese grater
- 5 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- dash of pepper
- Heat waffle griddle
- Mix all of the ingredients except the sweet potatoes
- Add sweet potatoes to herb mixture
- Once the waffle griddle is hot spray the griddle with a non-stick spray
- Stuff the griddle with the sweet potato mixture. You want it to be at least 1/4 inch thick or it will fall apart easily when you are done. The more you can put on the stronger it will be.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes until browned
- Respray the griddle and repeat