What is better than banana bread?
Banana bread covered in chocolate chips!
What kid wouldn’t want to eat this for breakfast? It’s covered in chocolate!
I love baking breads and muffins because they are so easy to grab when you are in a hurry. I am guilty of skipping meals, eating a piece of cheese (or chocolate), or just grabbing anything in front of me when I am desperate for time and am in a hurry.
When I have breads or muffins baked I find that I stay on track with keeping a regular diet and with keeping my glucose levels even. There is nothing worse than running out the door starving, feeling sluggish and then having to choose options that aren’t good for us.
I love using mini chocolate chips because I get more chocolate in every bite! I try to use the darkest chocolate I can find and only the ones that aren’t made with pure sugar, like the Whole Foods brand or Enjoy Life. Enjoy Life is a great non-dairy option.
Make this over the weekend for breakfast or snacks during the busy work week!
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups very ripe bananas, mashed well (about 4-5 large bananas)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons good quality vanilla
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- 1/2 cup maple syrup (amber)
- 1/2-3/4 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease a loaf pan well and set aside
- In a large bowl mix the first four ingredients together
- In another large bowl mix together ingredients 5-10
- Pour 1/4 of the dry mixture into the wet mixture and mix well
- Continue to pour in the dry mixture 1/4 at the time while completely mixing in between
- Once all of the dry and wet mixture is combined into one bowl, fold in the chocolate chips
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan
- Bake for 45-50 minutes