Have you ever had one of those meals where you thought this can’t possibly be good for me, but it was?
Well, this is that meal!
I once had risotto at Steamer’s, this fabulous seafood restaurant in Northern California. The risotto there was so creamy and flavorful I thought I had died and gone to heaven. It was one of those meals you wished would never end.
Usually when I leave a restaurant after having an incredible meal the wheels in my head start turning. I not only wanted to go home and make their risotto, but I wanted to make it healthy so I wouldn’t have to feel guilty about it like I did that night.
Well, I have done it! I give you the best risotto you will ever have. When you first bite into this risotto you are presented with a silky creamy texture, but then your tastebuds cling onto flavors of garlic, cheese, basil and a hint of saltiness. I am just saying, this is pretty incredible if you ask me.
This risotto is a complete meal all in one! The quinoa offers your grain and protein, you get your good fats from the coconut milk and of course there is spinach for your veggie!
You could also serve this as a side dish if you wanted to as well. If it were up to me though, I would just take a huge, I mean huge, bowl of this and call it a day!
Enjoy and have a great weekend!
Creamy Quinoa and Spinach Risotto
- 2 cups quinoa, cooked
- 1 1/2 cups yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup coconut milk (full fat)
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot powder
- 1 cup spinach, chopped
- 3/4 tablespoons fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- In a large skillet heat 2 tablespoons of coconut oil on medium heat
- Add the onions and garlic to the skillet and cook them for about 2 minutes until translucent
- Stir the arrowroot powder in and cook until it dissolves into the onions and garlic
- Pour the coconut milk into the skillet
- Continually whisk the coconut milk for about 2 minutes until it thickens
- Add the spinach and basil and cook for about 1 minute
- Add the Parmigiano Reggiano and cook it for 1-2 minutes
- Stir in your salt and pepper
- Serve immediately