Lasagna layered with a hearty homemade meat sauce, zucchini and cheese… Who needs noodles?
Personally, I am not a pasta fan. I would rather eat all the goodness inside. Pasta really doesn’t have any flavor. So why not just skip the carb filled pasta, get more flavor and add vegetables to your main course.
This is a meal I get asked to make often. It has become a favorite around here. My Father-in-Law even loves it, which is crazy because he usually only loves pizza or Panda Express. So it is really saying a lot when he loves something. Maybe he doesn’t realize it is healthy for him. He is one of those people that the second he finds out its healthy he is on a mission to find out whats wrong with it.
Here is a sample conversation: “Oh wow these are really good (F.I.L.)!” “Well, you know they are sweetened with Xylitol and there is no sugar (Me).” “Oh really? Ya, well I thought it tasted funny (F.I.L.).” I love trying to sneak things in his food or trick him just to see what he will say.
My Mother-in-Law and I were just reminiscing about stories like the one above and she said she had a good one, so here it goes. “Wow these breakfast sausages are really good (F.I.L.)!” “Oh cool, you know I accidentally got the ones that were made out of turkey instead of beef (M.I.L.).” “Oh, they were no good (F.I.L.).” Then she tells me he had already had a second helping.
If you have a Father-in-Law that is just a peach with eating foods like mine is, try this recipe out on him. I promise he will love it!
Oodles of Zucchini Noodles Lasagna:
Yield: 4-5 servings
Prep and cooking time: 1 hour and 10 minutes
- 1 pound ground beef (or any ground meat)
- 1 cup yellow onions (1/2 medium-sized onion), chopped
- 12 ounce bag of shredded cheese
- 1 tablespoon basil (preferably fresh)
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon parsley (preferably fresh)
- 3 small zucchinis or 2 large zucchinis, sliced in half vertically and then sliced horizontally into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 15 ounces organic tomato sauce
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Coconut oil for greasing baking dish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Brown ground beef in a large skillet.
- Add garlic and onion and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomato sauce and tomato paste.
- Add in parsley, basil, oregano, salt and pepper and continue to stir.
- Bring sauce to a light boil, then remove from heat.
- Grease a 9×13 baking dish with coconut oil.
- Put a little bit of the meat mixture on the bottom of the baking dish, about 1/4 cup
- Next place a layer of zucchini strips
- On top of the zucchini strips put the meat mixture and then add a layer of cheese
- Repeat with a second set of layers: Zucchini, meat mixture and then ending with cheese on the very top.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes
- Remove foil and bake for another 10 minutes, until all the cheese is melted and the zucchini is cooked through.
- Pull out of oven and let set for 5 minutes before cutting and serving