How do you make a family meal where everyone is happy?
One of my most favorite snacks in the world is Annie’s Cheddar Bunnies. I seem to always have a box in my car, and no it doesn’t mean that it’s because I am on a road trip. It is because sometimes I am just lazy or because I have 20,000 things to do and I just forget to pack a snack. I mean at least I packed snacks for my baby right?
Speaking of being a mom, I have a 9-month-old son, Graeyson. You don’t realize how easy life is before having kids. Oh my goodness! Just like when you tell preschool children how easy their life is and they think ya right you don’t know what you are talking about. And yes, I was born yesterday.
What I wouldn’t give to sleep in until 8 am again and lay around watching movies or going to the gym, WHENEVER I felt like it. Not having ONLY a ten minute window to either have a shower or put in some sit ups, but if I do sit ups then I am REALLY going to need that shower!
Remember when you could leave the house with your keys and wallet and…. well thats it, just your keys and wallet? Now, I leave with an entire mini child’s gym, chairs, entertainment centers, books, diapers, wipes, snacks, extra clothes, extra clothes in case the extra clothes get soiled, maybe a third outfit, jackets, blankets, burp clothes, bibs, need I continue. None of these things are what I even need to bring for myself. This is solely for my little 17 pound baby. And somehow no matter what time I leave the house I still look like I just rolled out of bed.
One of our frequent destinations is my Aunt Debbie’s house. I will pull up and start unloading what seems as though an entire house full of who knows what and she turns to me and says “Well why didn’t you bring that other chair, he NEEDS that.” “He needs that” is her famous line. I got him one of those mirrors for the back of my car so he can see me and I can see him and she says, “You know they have them with a light now, he needs that.” Um, hello I have a 35 dollar one that works just fine.
Even though being a mom comes with full time duties, I wouldn’t trade that job for anything! I will probably need to reread that line a few times at 2 am, but it is true. Being a mommy to my little man is the best!
With that said… life gets crazy. And it is hard to prepare meals let alone having them be healthy, balanced and possibly even something the kiddos could get involved with making.
This meal is great because it is healthy, balanced and most importantly FUN! Give the kids a bag of the cheddar bunnies and a rolling pin and let them have at it.
I love the crunchy, cheesy texture that you get from biting into the chicken. Feel free to try out any spices, I just wanted to keep this dish simple for the little ones. Enjoy and have FUN!
Cheddar Bunny Oven Fried Chicken:
Yield: 4 servings
Preparation and cook time: 1 hour
- 2 full chicken breast (4 halves); sliced in 1/2 inch thick strips
- 5 1/4 cup Annie’s Cheddar Bunnies (each box has 4 cups)
- 5 tablespoons spelt flour
- 3 large eggs, whisked in a bowl
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- Ground pepper to liking
- Coconut oil to grease pan(s)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Grease baking sheet; you may need two depending on the size of your chicken breasts.
- On a plate mix together the spelt flour, salt and pepper
- Put the cheddar bunnies in a large ziploc bag and crush them into crumbs using a rolling pin. Pour the crumbs into an 8×8 baking dish and mix in the chopped parsley.
- Next set up an assembly line. First you will have your flour, then your egg and finally the crushed cheddar bunnies (with parsley and/or whatever seasonings you like).
- Take a strip of chicken one at a time and coat it with spelt flour, then cover it with egg, place it in the crumbs pushing down and flipping it to the other side to coat it with crumbs.
- Lay each chicken strip on the greased baking sheet.
- Bake in your preheated oven, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Flip the chicken over after the first 15 minutes.
*Enjoy this dish with your favorite sauce! Ketchup, sweet and sour, ranch, BBQ….